About this weblog
This weblog is simply about anything that interests Maarten, taken from system administration to home automation.
Please note that all opinions on this website are Maarten’s personal opinions and not the opinion of the company he works for.
A brief bio
Maarten Damen is a senior systems and network administrator for a medium size company in the water industry. At night Maarten loves to tinker with home automation and electronics. He is the founder of the HouseAgent home automation project.
A bit more about Maarten Damen
Born in 1984 and started to work in 2003, Maarten has over 8 years of experience in the IT industry. In his spare time he loves to participate in various open source projects. For something different, he is a fanatic volleyball player and likes various other sports (running, biking etc.)
Click HERE to contact Maarten.
What Maarten has done/worked on
- Created the first bootstrap for Synology DS207+ (2008)
- Participated on the SABnzbd project (2009)
- Did research on the Plugwise energy management system, resulting in POL (Plugwise On Linux) and Plugwise Unleashed (a document describing the Plugwise protocol) (2009-2010)
- Released a Microsoft System Center Operations Manager management pack for the Trend Micro Interscan Messaging Security Suite (2010)
- Released HouseAgent, a multi-platform home automation project (2011)
- MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, MCP ID: 3627524 (validation upon request)
- VMware Certified Professional
- CommVault Certified Systems Administrator
- Microsoft system administration and related products (Windows Server systems, System Center products etc.)
- Programming and scripting: Python, C#, PowerShell, VBScript, C/C++.. ordered from most to least experience)
- VMware virtualization technologies (VMware vSphere, Workstation etc.)
- Network administration (Cisco, HP)
- Domotica and home automation (Z-wave, Plugwise etc.)
- Reverse engineering (both hard -and software)
- Hardware design